Cape Town – Western Cape is promoting its plans to purchase its own supply of Covid-19 vaccine.
On Wednesday, the Nomafranch Mbomba Provincial Ministry of Health briefed Parliament’s health committee with its counterpart from the Eastern Cape.
“The Prime Minister as Commander of the Provincial Council for Covid-19 has been working with suppliers as well as with various other stakeholders on vaccines.
“We know for sure that there will be a time when there may be an additional need to expand a number of priorities set by the nation, and therefore it is very important that we do so,” Mbomba told MPs.
She said they learned about how to get anti-TB drugs, SARS for HIV / AIDS and other medicines where there has always been a centralized procurement process.
“When something happens in connection with problems, we always note that we have a plan B, and that’s crucial,” Mbomba said.
The move in the province took place despite the fact that last week Health Minister Tsveli Mkhize said the National Department of Health would become the only buyer of Covid-19 vaccines in the country.
Managing the committee’s department, health department chief Keith Clotte said the province was beginning to stabilize.
Clotte said the active number of Covid-19 cases in the Cape Town metro is reaching a plateau.
The garden route broke off from the peak, like the Nelson Mandela subway, where the second wave first erupted.
Cape Vinalands began to stabilize, as did Overberg. The West Coast was the only area that was just sloping, and the fall was expected to happen this or next week, Clotte said.
He told MPs that the province had 7,693 public sector beds with acute surgery, including general and critical beds for Covid-19 patients.
There were 3323 Covid patients in medical institutions, 1889 were in public hospitals, 1434 – in private ones.
Clotte noted that they experienced a significant reduction in alcohol-related injuries.
“It’s important to pay close attention to behavior changes to provide containment for six months while we prepare to provide access to vaccines.”
Clote told MPs that to date, 92 deaths of health workers and 80 88 cumulative infections have been recorded in the province.
He also reported that there were 1,029 active cases, 98 of which were doctors, 432 nurses, 23 radiologists, 7 pharmacists and 459 other categories.
At the same time, the Eastern Cape said there is a downward trend in Covid-19 infection by Joe Joe Caby, in whom cases are increasing.
Acting head of the provincial department, Sibongile Zung, said the Joe Kabi district was the last to peak in the first wave, and re-entered the second.
Zung said they were concerned about Nelson Mandela’s subway and Sarah Baartman’s area, which had contributed a lot of help, accounting for 70 to 80% of new cases since December.
“The other areas under pressure are the Buffalo subway, Joe Gkabi and the Chris Honey area.”
Zung also said they were concerned about the availability of beds in the Alfredo Nzo area, the Buffalo metro area and the Tambo area.
“As of yesterday (Wednesday), the three were putting pressure on the beds,” Zung said.
“The subway of Alfredo Nzo, Joe Gkabi and Nelson Mandela has a certain pressure that we feel there in terms of places for critical concerns,” she said.
Zung told lawmakers that no intensive care facilities had been set up in the Alfredo Nzo, Amatae, Joe Gkabi and Sarah Baartman districts.
“However, the province has provided critical beds in some designated county hospitals, equipped them with oxygen and high-flow equipment, and increased staffing so that provincial citizens can travel to ambulances within two hours.”
Zung said that on January 11, there were 1,732 people in their medical facilities.
A total of 1524 were in general wards, 144 in intensive care beds and 64 in caregivers.
She said 855 patients were on oxygen, they were in general care wards or in general wards, and 76 were ventilated.