Friday , November 27 2020

The innovative surgery for pancreatic cancer, one of the most deadly



Maria Jose del Valle with two doctors.Copyright image
Vall d & # 39; Hebron tweeter

header image

María José del Valle, in the center, has undergone surgery for pancreatic cancer with radiofrequency in Barcelona.

Every day more than 1,200 people worldwide are diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, which has one of the lowest rates of disease-free survival.

But now may be a breakthrough for patients.

pancreatic cancer with the & # 39 is one of the most aggressive. According to the American Cancer Society, at best, survival rate at 5 years was 14%While in the worst prognosis is only 1%.

Now Vall d & # 39; Hebron Hospital in Barcelona (Spain) is testing an innovative technique that can improve the situation. it is called radiofrequency and this process has already been successfully three people working.

  • The reason why some cancers are more aggressive than others

These patients have very specific type of cancer of the pancreas, adenocarcinoma of locally advanced, unresectable pancreatic using conventional methods and which only palliative treatment is chemotherapy.

Thus, radio frequency can be effective as an alternative to palliative chemotherapy in the treatment of poor prognosis of pancreatic cancer.

innovative technology

This method comprises administering to a needle which allows to use the temperature to 80 ° C directly into the tumor. elevated temperature burns cell.

Copyright image
Hospital Vall d & # 39; Hebron

header image

The picture looks like a team of surgeons at the Vall d & # 39; Hebron (Barcelona) hospitals that work with radio frequency pancreatic cancer.

The needle also has a cooling system. "In this type of intervention cooling system which allows entry of fluids that reach areas such as the duodenum used to prevent overheating," said Pando surgeon Elizabeth Hospital Vall d & # 39; Hebron.

This is a process which is already used in other cancers such as tumors of the liver, kidney and lung, but have never been treated with pancreatic cancer.

  • Recognizing the symptoms of pancreatic cancer, it is considered the most aggressive

"No one has ever dared to do it, and study breaks this bar & # 39; er," said Pando.

Until now it was believed that radio can not be used in pancreatic cancer because it entails too much risk due to the location of the tumor, surrounded by the major arteries and veins.

Copyright image
Christopher Furlong / Getty

header image

Until now it was thought that the radio frequency can not be applied in pancreatic cancer, because there are too many risks entails because of the tumor

If the results are confirmed, with 2020 or 2021, this procedure can be a "big choice" for patients with pancreatic cancer that can not be surgically operated.

complex forecast

Operations were carried out in the framework of a study conducted by the Academic Medical Center in the Netherlands.

Research suggests that about 40% of patients with locally advanced at diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. The median survival of patients with this disease is about eight months.

  • Why pancreatic cancer is so aggressive?

One of the reasons for the high mortality of pancreatic cancer with & # 39 is that the symptoms are so nonspecific that leads to 80% of patients are diagnosed in the advanced stages.

After diagnosis, only 20% of these tumors are operable. For the remaining 80% is the only option still chemotherapy.

"I was six months'

One of the patients operated on with this method in Hebron hospital of Val Maria-Jose del Valle, who & # 39; appeared last week with this center doctors to present the results of the first radio-frequency interference.

Copyright image
getty Images

header image

pancreatic cancer with the & # 39 is one of the most aggressive.

Maria Jose, who served as medical life was at a friend's house when he realized that he had yellow hand, Pancreatic cancer was diagnosed after the relevant evidence.

They offered to take part in the trial, and at the press conference said that he had signed "Do not read 'She went through two months of chemotherapy prior to the innovative operation. "I knew that the survival of a & # 39 is low, I gave myself six months." Now it's "phenomenal".

  • "I never thought that the people can get breast cancer"

By the time this method has been used only in patients who were stable after several months of chemotherapy.

While doctors urge caution, they are optimistic. "If it is confirmed that this therapy is effective for locally advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma cancer, we finally with the technique, which improves the prognosis of this tumor as malignant," said Dr. Ramon Charco.

  • You already know our channel on YouTube? Subscribe!

Source link