It has long been known to scientists, hanging over her books for hours, strained eyes, so that they get a headache. Tony Pansell with & # 39 are ophthalmologists, associate professor and receives, including against children, sent in the direction of the school nurse. They have headaches and difficult to keep up with the school, and now it's not a book, but a constant eye on the screens that with & # 39 are guilty. The youngest children in the age of six, seven years.
– Today, it is so bad that we see young children with "academics eyes" – headaches and eye fatigue.
One of the problems you may have to look at the screen for a long time at close range, called false myopia. Eyes strained and cramps because it can not relax, and your eyes focus remains nearby.
– If you see blurry at a distance and have a headache, we suspect false myopia and eye spasms. As a rule, we ask, when you wake up with a headache or if it will be during the day. Synhuvudvärk takes place during the day and releases, if you look to the side.
Even more common of the & # 39 is opposite to that weaken the eyes. It is known by many middle-aged back – all of a sudden you get to keep everything with arms outstretched and use reading glasses to see clearly. But patients Tony Pansells far from middle age.
– We treat children as if they were 20-30 years old.
It is easy to treat
Tony Pansell careful to emphasize that it is not a damage, but a temporary upset the system and that it is easily treatable. But both conditions are hard on children.
– It affects the quality of life and visual function and makes it more difficult to succeed in school. Headaches may cause you to become less concentrated.
– The problem is that many go around and think it is normal for many others in the class, too, have a headache. Many children understand that the problem is related to displays, but frightened by getting rid of screen time.
simple treatment – children get reading glasses with the strength of one and one month later, most of the recovered. Often discuss with children and their parents about how to sit in front of the screen.
watching too much for a short distance can also have long-term consequences.
– When you look closely, drawing, of course, a little behind the eye. What happens if you are very very carefully looked, the eye begins to grow on the image to compensate for, the eye is not round but oblong. This myopia, the eye is too long, if corrected for near vision, and results in blurred distance.
The epidemic in Asia
If the eye continues to grow, becoming the eye wall is thinner and it increases the risk of retinal detachment and glaucoma, as you get older, the disease, which, in turn, can lead to blindness. In some Asian countries, 80 percent of students myopia and 20 percent of them severely nearsighted. In Asia, the problem is so great that the World Health Organization (WHO) classifies it as an epidemic.
In Sweden and Europe can not talk about the epidemic, but myopia applies here. They still do not know exactly what caused it, but it is clear that the time has an impact on the vision front of the screen.
There's no exact science as to the fact that too much time in front of the screen. Tony Pansell stands common sense, rather than sit hour after hour on the screen.
– When a six-year stay with the screen on the couch for a few hours – no. Should we ban screens – no. If I was a developer of the application, I have developed an application that made the screen turns off every five minutes, so you have to take a break.
It's also great to be outdoors. Sunlight UV radiation liberates substances in the retina, which prevents the eye grows in length. Thus, it is also important for children to go during a break at school, not in the possession of a mobile phone. Also, do not hold the screen too close to your eyes, the science shows that increases the risk of long-term consequences.
For adults who themselves must take responsibility for their skärmstirrande he recommends 20/20/20 rule. Every twenty minutes will take you twenty-second break and look at twenty meters.
– Pause, staring into infinity. And you have a problem, contact your eye care professional.