Monday , April 12 2021

University of Maryland reported 3 additional cases of adenovirus



University of Maryland on Monday reported three additional cases of adenovirus, a week after, as a freshman at the school died from complications associated with the disease.

Olivia Paregol, 18-year-old from Howard County, died Nov. 18 at Johns Hopkins Hospital, according to her father, Ian Paregol. She was in and out of hospital since the first develops a cough, and then pneumonia at the beginning of the semester.

None of the three new cases that occurred during the Thanksgiving break, does not require hospitalization, according to the letter signed by David McBride, director of the University Medical Center.

Virus, which has more than 50 strains, could cause illness ranging from common cold to pneumonia. Fever, diarrhea, intestinal infections, and neurological diseases also possible, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Sur & # 39; serious condition arising from adenovirus are rare, but they are more common in people with weakened immune systems, according to the CDC. Olivia Paregol was in danger because she takes drugs to combat Crohn's disease weakened her immune system, says her father.

CDC, the Maryland Department of Health and the District Health Department are investigating the outbreak of Prince George on campus. Brian Bacchus, head of the State Department of Health to investigate outbreaks, said the state health department first became aware of the outbreak of the campus on November 12 after the county Department of Health Prince George reported it to the team.

This is not a & # 39 is unusual for a university to experience adenovirus outbreaks around this time of year, he said.

"It does not always know when there is an outbreak in the campus, because people go to different doctors," said Bachus. "It probably happens more often than we know."

Paregol Yang said he is trying to figure out whether her condition is worsening outbreak of mold on campus this fall. Olivia lived in Elkton Hall, one of the hostel, the students were evacuated as crews could treat the building for mold.

"Every child in the dormitory sick," said Jan Paregol.

The FAQ of the adenovirus on the university Web site Health Center, the center said that there was no clear link between the mold found in dormitories and adenovirus.

[email protected]

twitter.com/xtinatkacik


Source link