Posted by Dan Whisenhunt
November 27, 2018
<! – ->
<! – 976 views
This story has been updated.
All Decatur schools, including Decatur High and Renfroe Middle School, are on lock down this morning, Nov. 27, after a "threatening call" was received.
An employee who answered the phone at the Decatur Police Department said the lock down was a precaution, "To make sure everyone is ok."
A spokesperson for the Police Department said, "On Tuesday, November 27, 2018, the Decatur Police Department received reports of a bomb threat against one school and threats of gun violence made against two additional schools. Working with City Schools of Decatur, a system-wide lock down of all schools was initiated out of precaution. DeKalb County Police and DeKalb County Sheriff's Office responded to assist. Schools are still currently under lock down as we investigate these threats. There have been officers on site at every school since we were made aware of the threats. We have found no evidence to substantiate these threats at this point. Officers will remain assigned to each of the schools for the remainder of the day. We will provide an update after the lock down is lifted. "
Decatur Police Officers and DeKalb County Sheriff's deputies have been spotted in the area. Decaturish contributor Cathi Harris said officers have been searching Glennwood Elementary and students there were briefly evacuated to Holy Trinity Parish Episcopal School.
Glennwood students had been cleared to return to class, Harris reported.
Harris said that the sheriff has blocked off East Ponce de Leon Avenue at Commerce Drive.
City Schools of Decatur officials were not immediately available for comment but did send the following message to parents:
Your child's safety is our top priority. Out of an abundance of caution after receiving threats at some schools, CSD has gone into a system-wide lock down.
We are actively working with the police department to investigate this situation. Students can not be checked out until the lock down is lifted. Please do not go to the schools because this will interfere with school safety procedures. Decatur Police Department has dispatched officers to all schools.
We will continue to send updates.
Students and teachers at Decatur High and Renfroe Middle have been texting family members to notify them about the lock down.
A parent said they received the following text messages from their student, who attends Decatur High.
From my DHS jr:
10: 48-We are in a hard lock down for some reason
(I asked if he was in a classroom)
10: 55-Yep. And we are behind these lab benches. I am nowhere near the door. They said it was something outside of the building
11: 09-We are now on a soft lock down. So we can come up and start class but we can not leave the class
The Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that schools in Dunwoody have also received threats recently.
"None of those threats were deemed to be credible," the AJC reported.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.