Or mold in the University of Maryland freshman dorm contribute to the death of Olivia Paregol last week? Paregol died from complications of adenovirus, a common virus spread through close personal contact. After the death of his daughter, her father said that mold in her dorm room, may have played a role.
"It did not help the disease," said Jan Paregol, according to CBS Baltimore. "I think it's really fair statement. We do not know that there is a causal relationship, but it did not help things. "Although the university has confirmed at least six other cases of adenovirus, school officials have not confirmed that the form has been directly responsible for the virus, according to CBS News.
Related: Maryland student died from a dangerous strain of adenovirus. Here's what you need to know
The tragic death of a college student and frightening statements that mold may be at fault may make you think about your health and how mold can affect you. "Mold is everywhere," Albert Rizzo, MD, chief medical officer at the American Lung Association, said health, Usually mold grows outdoors and humid environment can cause it to succeed in your home. You may be able to see the shape of a dark color or a spot on the wall or on the floor, but it can also be seen, he says,
Dr. Rizzo says that there is no direct link between adenovirus and mold. However, in the air of mold spores can cause a variety of health misfortunes like this.
Related: 11 Signs That is more than Rhinitis
Mold sets off allergy symptoms
"Mold spores are small enough so that you can inhale them deeply into the lungs," says Dr. Rizzo. While not everyone reacts to the presence of mold in their airways, if you are sensitive to it, your immune system can be bent, causing a nasty bout of hay fever like symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye redness or itching of the eyes and skin, the CDC said.
Mold makes you cough
Even if you do not have allergies, or other breathing problems, mold can also irritate the lungs and cause coughing, said Dr. Rizzo. "Shortness of breath and cough may be the first sign of allergy or that you have been exposed to quite a significant amount of mold that is compromising the airways," he says.
Mold can cause airway diseases
People with weakened immune systems are particularly susceptible to the adverse effects of exposure to mold. (Paregol said that this was the case for her daughter, who had Crohn's disease). It is possible, however, that the inhalation of mold can cause airway inflammation, which can then leave the vulnerable individual susceptible to other infections.
Related: How to Treat Your iPhone during cold and flu
Mold can cause a lung infection
Another potential form of portable problem for someone with a weakened immune system? "Mold can gain a foothold in your easy and put you at a higher risk of lung infection," says Dr. Rizzo. One of these infections caused by aspergillosis mold. Mild cases cause the symptoms of allergy; However, the invasive form may spread to other parts of the body such as the brain, heart and kidneys, and it can be fatal, according to the Mayo Clinic.
Mold can lead to asthma
Even if you are healthy, exposure to mold can contribute to the development of asthma, a chronic disease that affects breathing; Asthma attacks can even be life threatening. (And FYI, if you have asthma, it does not go away.) Children who have been exposed to "visible mold" have been exposed to an increased risk of developing asthma or suffer from deterioration of asthma symptoms, according to article 2018 European Respiratory Review.
How to protect yourself from mold
Keep the level of humidity in your home below 50%. If you know you have water damage behind the wall or suspect you'll need to hire a professional to clear the form that is most likely in the end, especially if you are experiencing any symptoms on this list. Light stands.
In order to get our top stories delivered to your inbox, subscribe to a healthy lifestyle